Gelbooru

Notice: We are now selling NEW Gelbooru Merch~! Domestic shipping is free on all orders! Do you have an artist tag on Gelbooru? Let us know so we can properly credit you!

Now Viewing: Tumblr removed access to RAW images (and why you should care)

Keep it civil, do not flame or bait other users. If you notice anything illegal or inappropriate being discussed, contact an administrator or moderator.

Lemons22 Group: Member - Total Posts: 13
user_avatar
Tumblr removed access to RAW images (and why you should care)
Posted on: 08/12/18 06:55PM
In case you didn't know for a long time there was a URL hack that allowed us to grab the highest-quality images from Tumblr. We called these "raw" images specifically because the URL hack involved changing the "1280" number at the end of an image's URL to "raw". I'm sure any veteran uploader knows this.

Well now that access has been suddenly and unceremoniously removed...you can test it yourself by going to this link:

s3.amazonaws.com/data.tum...unei3rmG1uy441zo2_raw.jpg

Access denied...this means every image from Tumblr will be capped at 1280x1920 and compressed...meaning the images you see on this site will probably have a significant drop in quality.

I encourage everyone to make tickets to Tumblr support asking them to bring back RAW images: www.tumblr.com/support

Also like/reblog this post: thoughtfulcyclefire.tumblr.com/post/176920969607

Thanks, and hopefully we can bring back RAW images if they see enough people care!

jedi1357 Group: Moderator - Total Posts: 3423
user_avatar
Posted on: 08/12/18 07:31PM
TFW lozer has better image hosting than a site worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

DMAS Group: Member - Total Posts: 5
user_avatar
Posted on: 08/12/18 07:49PM
You're really gonna repost this on every imageboard out there, even on those that already know about it and know what to do... Ok. Anyway, this is Tumblr you're talking about, they're ran by idiots. Trying to get everyone to tell them to bring back access to higher quality raw files won't work on them.

Mderms Group: - Total Posts: 80
user_avatar
Posted on: 08/12/18 09:18PM
Yeah.. I uh.. I don't care.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lemons22 Group: Member - Total Posts: 13
user_avatar
Posted on: 08/12/18 11:15PM
DMAS said:
You're really gonna repost this on every imageboard out there, even on those that already know about it and know what to do.

Just making it easy for people who may be just walking in on this...nothing wrong with that. Not EVERYONE on this site knows 1. there even is a problem and 2. what they might do about it.

Mderms said:
Yeah.. I uh.. I don't care.

Thanks for sharing...you want a cookie?

Mderms Group: - Total Posts: 80
user_avatar
Posted on: 08/13/18 02:04AM
Lemons22 said:
DMAS said:
You're really gonna repost this on every imageboard out there, even on those that already know about it and know what to do.

Just making it easy for people who may be just walking in on this...nothing wrong with that. Not EVERYONE on this site knows 1. there even is a problem and 2. what they might do about it.

Mderms said:
Yeah.. I uh.. I don't care.

Thanks for sharing...you want a cookie?


Oatmeal Raisin if you would please.

MoralSquandery Group: Member - Total Posts: 11
user_avatar
Posted on: 08/13/18 08:44PM
As a source hunter, this is gonna bug me. Because I need high quality images to do image searches. Why is this happening?

AngryZapdos Group: Moderator - Total Posts: 95
user_avatar
Posted on: 08/14/18 01:05AM
MoralSquandery said:
Why is this happening?

Why indeed! If you'll be so kind as to view the comments on this rule34.paheal post...

rule34.paheal.net/post/view/2677319

jedi1357 Group: Moderator - Total Posts: 3423
user_avatar
Posted on: 08/14/18 10:53AM
Also, we prefer the artist's original files be posted here at Gelbooru if at all available. Now these are not available and we have to suffer with smaller, compressed, artifacted facsimiles.

Lemons22 Group: Member - Total Posts: 13
user_avatar
Posted on: 08/15/18 06:24PM
AngryZapdos said:
MoralSquandery said:
Why is this happening?

Why indeed! If you'll be so kind as to view the comments on this rule34.paheal post...

rule34.paheal.net/post/view/2677319

Not surprised...somehow I knew that some stupid artist must have posted a high-res, Patreon-only version of his art to Tumblr then probably went full REEEEEEEEEEEE when he realized it, complained, then Tumblr just shut that shit down. Greeeeeeat.

add_replyAdd Reply

1 2